Monday, December 8, 2014

Where has Our Humanity Gone? A Challenge to Create a New Society



There's been a lot of news lately, a lot of stories posted, a lot of opinions flying around, a lot of sadness going around.  I originally wanted to comment on it all directly, and had begun a post about it, but it just never felt right. For one, there's so much out there already, I'm not sure what I would add without copying off others or being lost in the abyss. For two, what do I really know? For three, I'm not sure it's my place to say anything.

I do need to vent, though. And, if you'd take a few moments to listen to me (through your eyes), I'd like to vent to you. This post was originally intended for my generation and the youth, but honestly, it's for anyone willing to listen. So, here goes everything...

I've been so disheartened by what's transpired in the past couple of weeks. Sadly, it's not like it's anything new or different--it's just getting more coverage. It originally had me angry and furious (as my brother knows good and well). At the end of the day, though, that anger does nothing good if it's not channeled towards something.

I've had a thought that I've thought for awhile; the last few weeks have merely brought it to a great sense of urgency. WE'VE LOST OUR HUMANITY. Honestly, though, I've started to wonder if we've ever had it in the first place.

With so much politics, religion, media, etc. floating around, we've been distracted and misled. We've forgotten about our core. We've forgotten about us.

Thinking logically, I can't wrap my head around what makes one person's life more valuable than another's. Sure, some people have greater gifts or greater potentials, but who are we to decide who gets the opportunity to see that potential grow and who doesn't? Where did this power come from?

At the end of the day, this is an issue we need to look at because it's staring us right in the face. We aren't all given the same fighting chance. Some of it is by luck, some of it is by choice, some of it is by situation, but it should never be by appearance.

I don't really want to get into politics too much because it's generally more combative than productive, but this is why I hate politics. As we get so lost into fitting certain agendas or ideologies, we forget about humanism.

I've seen so many arguments regarding one side or another, but at the end of the day they all have a bit of bullshit. Like, money is always a big thing. Shit, man, money is power and life and liberty. And I get that it separates people and it probably doesn't make sense to have everyone get paid the same to do different things. BUT, that doesn't mean everyone shouldn't get a fighting chance.

It bothers me when people have a sketchy sounding name, look different, talk different, etc. and that becomes a factor. Like, if someone decides he or she wants to fuck around and not take advantage of opportunities then that's his or her loss, but guys, there are too many people who don't get an opportunity to take advantage of. It just makes sense.

I'd say put yourself in the shoes of a person who doesn't have that chance, but it just doesn't work like that. We all have such different experiences.

Transitioning back to where I going, it's time for a challenge. We need to start looking in the mirror. Like, seriously looking in the mirror and realizing that we aren't perfect. I get that some stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. But can we stop looking at people and making instant judgments?

I know there are a lot of good people out there. I've seen many encouraging posts and comments and stories. It's not all bad, but it's a lot of bad.

All that's been happening got me in a darker mood and led me to watch "God Bless America" (trailer linked). If you haven't seen it, basically this guy finds out he is dying, gets fed up with celebrities, jerks, reality stars, talk show hosts, and starts on a killing spree. Like, he just goes on killing people who are mean.

It's totally a dark, yet funny, movie and I see where criticisms come in, but it makes a pretty big statement. It's basically asking the same question that I am: What's happened to us?

While some people joke that they could see me doing something similar one day (JUST A JOKE PEOPLE, I'M CLEAN), I don't think I ever could because killing isn't the answer. Like Louis CK says, we have murder laws for a reason. It doesn't lead to anything good.

While violence may sound like a quick fix, it seems like more of a bandaid than a solution. While justice needs to be served, we aren't God and aren't the judges of life. It's weird that some of us think we should be.

So, friends, not friends, random person reading this, here's my challenge. Let's find our humanity. Society dictates so much and it's my belief that it's time we become society. We really are society but we can create the new society. I mean, eventually society will be shaped by us anyway.

I don't think things are going to change anytime soon. Prejudices are taught, harnessed, and grown from an early age. It's only through teaching, action, and education that we can make a change. I believe that there will always be hatred in this world. Perfection isn't a reality. Utopia doesn't exist. But, I also believe that we can collectively craft a society that lays the foundation for our children and our children's children to make this world better.

My problem with prejudices, racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. is we decide that we're the judges. I've never understood where that power came from. Were we all not born human? Do not religions preach love? Why are we so shaped?

I challenge you to work on your prejudice. Question it. If not for the sake of you, for the sake of future generations. The thing that really gets me is I wonder where we'd be if we didn't have prejudices. Like, the places we could go. Instead of dismissing someone for their appearance, allowing the best and brightest to thrive, or the hardest workers to succeed. What have we missed out on by dismissing? Sure, some people fall through the cracks and break through, but so many others don't.

I don't want to live in a place, and I don't my children to live in a place, where someone says to me, "I'm sure you're innocent because you don't look like a bad guy." I want people to know I'm innocent because of proof or my actions or my values. I don't want to pass people on the street and instinctively put my hands in my pockets. I don't want to be upset if my wife makes more money than me. I don't want to be grossed out by two men showing affection. It's not my life, it's not my right to decide, it's not human. Also, it's not affecting me. Why can some people live their lives and others not?

I often wonder if we put the amount of effort into fighting our negativity against other humans that we put into gossiping, politicking, social mediating, where we could go.

Today, #ICanBreathe and that's not the case for everyone, unfortunately. But it's an opportunity that everyone should have. We have to stop creating enemies for the sake of having enemies or of the sake of society. We can be the change we want to see.

If you've made it this far, stay with me on this journey. Penetrate the system. Make things right. Stop being so fucking judging of people. Create new roots of humanity. Let your seeds (children) be humans. Loving, caring, humans. We're not all roses, but let the individual decide that. I challenge you to allow that to happen. This will not be agreeable to everyone, and I accept that. But I will be a domino for a better tomorrow. Will you?

Give people a chance. Everyone deserves that. That's how I will live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment