Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Brief Birthday Reflection

As a kid, of course I loved my birthday. I mean, who doesn't? You get cake, ice cream, sometimes a special dinner, and PRESENTS! Woo presents! Also, if your birthday fell within the school week, you could bring in treats for everyone, which usually led to you perusing the school for anyone willing to accept one of your treats in exchange for a nifty pencil. And that's all because you were born on that day some years in the past. Thank you, thank you. Please hold the applause!



As I got older, and get older, I find the birthdays kind of whimsical.  We get celebrated for our birthday.  We get paraded over for being born. Especially now in the age of Facebook, it's always interesting to see who will tell you "Happy Birthday" even though that person doesn't talk to you throughout the year.  You're suddenly important.

As I've gotten older, I've become someone who isn't really comfortable with unnecessary attention; it makes me feel icky. Don't get me wrong, it's great to receive birthday wishes and acknowledgement. Maybe I just have high expectations for myself, but I often think I'm just doing what I'm supposed to be doing.  I'd rather put my head down, get the job done, and move forward. So when something like a birthday comes up, I feel weird.  Like, what did I do to deserve this?

Following this thought, I've started a new-ish tradition that you may find interesting.  I like to call or text my mom, or talk to her if she calls me first, and thank her for giving birth to me.  Because, let's face it, this couldn't have happened without her.  I wouldn't be celebrating a birthday without her saying yes to me.

I could say the same to my dad, as he played an integral role in my creation and development, but I guess it seems like my mom ultimately had the final call. I may get presents or treated well on my birthday, but I feel like I should be the one treating her to something nice.  She did this.

I think stepping back and thinking about birthdays (or anniversaries of your birth day) can be a good reflection.  Sometimes, we can get so caught up in our everyday lives that we forget our roots or forget some simple details. Don't be afraid to celebrate your birthday or your life; all I'm saying it's let's not forget how we got here, and let's not take that for granted.  Thank you mothers of the world, for many cakes would not be had without your saying yes to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment