Wednesday, January 22, 2014

We All Love Lists But They're Dumb (The 5 Reasons Why)

You know what seems to be all the rage lately (and by lately I mean for some time now)? Lists. People love to read lists.  Like seriously, it's ridiculous how much people enjoy lists. Five signs you know you're in love, seven strangers you should meet, eight best travel spots, etc.

So, screw it, I'm making my own list.  Here it is:

The 5 Reasons Why Lists are Dumb

1. They're limiting: I'd assume, mostly, that lists are made as teasers.  It's like, "hey, look at me and how much knowledge I have. I'm going to solve your problems or paint your problems in six steps or less!" It's this innate desire for simplification, but it's oversimplification.  I'm sorry, but you didn't cover every reason why I'm anxious all of the time.  Oh, so you're saying she really does like me if I can check off each item? No. Lies. Stop it.

2. They're extreme: Do you ever notice how many lists use superlatives? They try to make you believe that this list is the best.  My list is the MOST IMPORTANT LIST around. It's as if the creators of said lists were able to gather the consensus of humanity in compiling these incredibly insightful and inspiring lists. You really mean to tell me these are absolutely, positively the BEST ways to fall in love? That's weird muchacho, it doesn't seem to be working for you.

3. They're redundant: How many times can we say the same thing over and over and over and over and over and ov...er again.  I really wonder sometimes if people think they're clever and they're pulling a fast one on others or maybe they actually believe their ideas are original.  You can only write about how awesome Harry Potter is so many times. Well, one would think. It just seems the people are constantly regurgitating what other people are already saying for the sake of making another list.

4. They're subjective: Yes, yes, I'm sure there are objective lists out there; however, for the most part, most list are subjective.  You can't really speak for everyone (kind of following the lines of point 3). These lists are just your opinions. And people love to eat that stuff up.  We read these lists as if they're scripture or blasphemy.  I love reading a list and seeing comments that say, "You're an idiot. Number 4 is totally wrong."  (Robert's note: Many people online don't type sentences or words out that completely . Sigh). Why are we so fascinated with the opinions or fabrications of others? Are we that incapable of thinking our own thoughts? Or maybe we just need others to justify how we feel.

5. They're pointless: Okay, so you've read a list. Cool. Great. Now what? Where do you go from here? I just don't see lists as doing anything substantial for our lives.  Hey, sweet list. It changes nothing, though. Besides that relatively useless comments or shares the lists get, they don't inspire meaningful action.  A person is going to act if they want to act or think differently if they want to.  Your list isn't going to change that.

Here's the problem: Lists are just so freaking addicting and we can't seem to get enough.  Well, this was pointless...

No comments:

Post a Comment