Monday, January 13, 2014

The TV (or Media) is Not Society: Time to Take Back Control

Today on Facebook, someone posted a link (note: the link may be momentarily down but hopefully it's back up soon) that talked about a new campaign for plus-sized models. Basically, the article pointed out how incredibly erroneous the campaign was as they are promoting what's normally perceived as an "average" female and calling her a plus-sized model.  The article had a screen cap with a plethora of comments from Facebook users.  Mainly, people said things along the lines of "How dare you," "This is an outrage," and "Society is messed up."

Now, before I go any further, I want to state that I don't know the answer to my questions.  I just think these questions need to be asked.  Or, these are questions that arose from me seeing the article.

When I saw that campaign, admittedly the first thing I thought was, "Well, she's sure pretty."  That's the point of someone being a model, right? Then, I looked at her and could see why she was labeled as plus-sized.  It wasn't because she's actually what one might considered plus-sized (which I'd argue is subjectively defined anyways), but more so based on what many consider a model.  The model was what you'd call, I guess, average.

People often see ads like that and bring up the fact that so many people, females in particular, have body image issues. They also say how it's no wonder so many do as it's paraded to us that those a overly skinny minnie's are what's beautiful--because, again, that's what a model is right?

Now, I'm not a girl so it'd be difficult for you to give any credence to my claims if I said I knew the answers. Nor could I corroborate states with personal experience.  However, I wonder why we listen to such advertisements? You have all of these people claiming how false, inaccurate, and innately evil they are, yet we consume them anyways.  I get it from the sense that they might be selling fashionable material, but why buy the model behind the material as well? Is it because the TV says they're beautiful? My question: WHO THE FUCK IS THE TV (or media) AND WHAT DOES IT ACTUALLY KNOW?! We feed these people by buying their products, by buying their images.

It doesn't just end with body image. It's other things too.  We earnestly listen to the TV for what is deemed as success.  One of my favorite things that I've gradually tried to get away from is religiously listening to "experts" about sports.  They're just a bunch of everyday people who claim to have more knowledge than you and I, but at the end of the day are usually talking out of their arses.

Here's what I really want to know, though.  Going back to the model story and the comments.  People are insinuating through their comments that they find those models wrong--especially in terms of their projection of "average or normal." That would lead me to think that they share that view with others, no? So, if people around us have a different perception than that of the TV, why do we have so many issues?  Why is what our peers tell us not good enough? Why does it mean nothing when a friend calls you beautiful because the TV says you aren't? Why are we so incapable of carrying only about the opinions of those that matter most?

I get the whole consumerism and its appeal.  And how as a byproduct of our consumerism the subliminal and somewhat subversive messages break through our walls. I just wish I understood why.  I know some people will take those projections and project them negatively onto others, but are those the people you'd really want to surround yourself with anyways? Like, you're best friend thinks your good enough but that's not enough? We're so into being "perfect" but why are we allowing others to define perfection? If we're constantly allowing ourselves to get pulled by various "experts" and their opinions, how is perfection even possible? It's not. Instead, we're setting ourselves up for failure and sadness. We must find a way to dismiss their abject notions.

It's just particularly odd to me that people will comment about "society" when we are society. The television isn't society.  They seem to control it, but we need to take the control back.  I challenge you to consciously fight the poisonous notions projected towards you on the television and instead accept the person you are for the way you and your friends see you.  It's not to say that some of use may need improvements--we could all improve in certain areas--but find that confidence with doing you and not doing them.  People, especially those close to you, aren't going to lie to you just for the sake of doing so. They're your friends for a reason.

You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it people like you. Like yourself and take back the control.



No comments:

Post a Comment