Thursday, December 12, 2013

A Christmas Question

I know I'll often say that I'm going to keep a post short and then I start rambling.  Maybe that's my version of short.  Anyways, today's post is actually going to be brief, as I don't have an answer.

I have a question I'd love to hear your opinion on.  If nothing else, I hope you'll read this post and it'll make you ask yourself this question.  As the holidays are upon us, I think it's imperative for each of us to do some reflecting.

I was talking to my brother the other day about certain circumstances when endless questions came to my mind.  My questions ranged from how long do parents give presents to kids to how sad should one be if he or she doesn't get a present and is the a societal thing to many others.  All of the questions lead to this central question that I want us all to consider:

Should getting presents (or maybe even the idea of presents in general) matter in the grand scheme of things?

Maybe some of you have faced a situation where you've had to consider that question; maybe some of you have.  Regardless, I think it's important to think about.  Have we lost the essence of the holiday spirit? Have we gravitated towards presents at the price of gravitating away from things like family, humanity, and love? What about all those who yearly don't have a Christmas with presents?

I have some initial thoughts and some deeper thoughts.  Maybe it'll be hard for people to ponder if they cannot empathize with situations where Christmas presents weren't impending.  Maybe it'll be easy.  I don't know.

I just hope for this holiday season, whatever holiday you celebrate, you try to take a step back from the materials and think about what's truly important to you this season. Celebrate the life you've been afforded and the people surrounding you.  If you can't do that, maybe this year you can give yourself the present of a new presence in the everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment